If you are visiting Lucerne for a day or thinking about staying, you’re probably going to start looking up possible day trips or ideas on what to do while you’re there. I have some ideas…
ONE DAY SUGGESTIONS
- Farmer’s Market – if you are there on a Tuesday or Saturday, there is a farmer’s market along the Reuss river bank.
- Lake Cruise.
- Wandering through the picturesque Altstadt (old town) part of the town and cross the river on the beautiful old covered wooden bridge (200 m long with 111 paintings on the inside).
- Walking tours
- Mount Titlis tour
- Jesuit Church (Jesuitenkirche) in the Bahnhofstrasse (close to the Chapel Bridge).
- Franciscan Church (Franziskanerkirche) located behind the Jesuit Church.
- Hof Church (Hofkirche) in the Sankt-leodegar-Strasse (if you love to sit in old churches and let the stillness sink into your soul, this is perfect).
- Lion Monument in the Denkmalstrasse (15 min walk from the train station).
- Musegg Wall – 13th century city walls.
- Glacier Garden
WHERE TO STAY
Staying close to the centre (close to Old Town) is probably the best area to stay in if you are only staying in Lucerne for a few days.
If you’re looking for Luxury Hotels:
- Hotel Schweizerhof Luzern: Close to the Old Town and shopping
- Palace Luzern: Grand hotel on the lakeside promenade (between Old Town and Swiss Transport Museum
- Renaissance Lucerne Hotel: 2 blocks from the lake, near the art museum & Marriott-affiliate
If you’re looking for Moderate Hotels:
- Hotel Krone Luzern: In the middle of Old Town, near the city walls and right on Weinmarkt square
- Hotel Rebstock: 10 min from train station, above the lake near Old Town with large rooms & free breakfast
- Radisson Blue Hotel Lucerne: 10-15 min walk to Old Town, close to boat landing if you are doing lake excursions